Thursday, June 12, 2008

Closure

Clay & Me
clarence laiyap goduli
1998. Albert introduced me to Clay. "Clarence, nah kawan baru dari Brunei." Hi, Junior. Hi Clarence. "Ko pandai main daun?" Hahaha..not really. It's ok , I'll just watch you guys play.

2008, last week. "Clay, this is my Malay song yang saya mau kasi masuk dalam album saya nanti." I played the song and sang, he held the lyrics. He said he liked it.

12th June 2008. Clarence Laiyap Goduli passed away in his loved ones presence. Ivy even made it on time. I was in Sandakan. I took the next flight back to KK at noon and made it to his family house. I stayed up all night not being able to sleep. Landed and we, Mesh & myself drove to his house. My heart of pounding not knowing how to react. I started to remember how we had lunch together back in 1999 when I was finally transfered to KK. I picked him up at Jabatan Tanah Ukur's bus stop. He didn't have his car then. The lunch was then made as a regular event.

He has so many group of friends, friends in the creative side, Martin, Boy Petrus and the late Sean. Then he has the regular company of Walter and Max and the gang. Then he had me. The music side. We went to choirs and a symphony (it was free at that time). We sang and laughed. He was such a great music/choral arranger. Then the Betty La Fea fever swept and he jumped on the band wagon. Imagine me, working in Inanam, drive all the way to his house in Taman Kemayan, Penampang at late noon just to watch Betty? And drove back to the office just to punch out at 5:30pm. Hahahaha...

Then the Lilian Too fever caught us like a whiplash, quick and painful later. Painful,.coz we were buying so many stuffs! We bought bracelets, brass horse, oxen (he's the year of the ox), the lucky knots, jades, crytal balls etc. I bet Khan must have thought Clay was opening a Feng Shui shop at his home. Then the car came. We spent a week car hunting. Went from one house to another to see the best value for money. But fortunately there was a Proton on sale at our branch, a traded-in unit. We got it resprayed and he had a new green proton saga! He was proud of the car.

There were just too many memories I had with this guy, lots of ups and we also shared our share of downs together. Its just too many to put in one blog. Funny though, but we never quarelled, not onced. We had one of two disagreements but that was about it. 2:50pm, I finally reached his house. All night I held back tears. I was almost in tears, crying rather at the Sandakan airport. But when I saw his mom, that was it. Khan gave a braveface and pointed the casket. My eyes swelled and I didn't care. There he lay, rested finally. Finally not in pain as he was on morphine for over 1 year and 2 weeks. I cried and cried what seems like hours. Greeted by his sisters, I nodded speechless, still holding back tears.

All I could remember was him saying "bah nanti kita masuk studio ah, for your recording." He never did make it (sob). "Clay, why didn't you wait for me!" I said as he laid still, crying while Mesh and Khan comforted me. Is it unfair? I started to question God's intentions. He was too young. I ran to a corner of the house and cried my eyes out. Something I have not done for many, many years. Then a warm hand touched my shoulder. "It's ok, junior." He is now in a wonderful place, resting, happy." Clay's sister comforted me.

Clarence, I miss you so much brother, my friend. We will all dearly miss you. Your legacy of music and support for me to sing will continue. My promise to you. My next few posts will be of this wonderful and great individual, a dedication to a wholesome person I am so proud to call a friend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great lost to you as well as the family members. I believe he must be some one special in your life that you have posted it inside your blog. May his soul rest in peace.

JOE'S BIZNES CAFE said...

Thanks.

Tigerlily of Borneo said...

Anyone who knew him knows what a kind soul he was. Rest in Peace, my dear friend...he's alright now, Jr. He's resting in peace.

Anonymous said...

I miss him too. Among the first few friends i met back in 1993. such a lovely person and a wonderful friend. Rest in peace, dearest friend.

geoxenz said...

he actually did mention about the studio record before he went to Kuching for treatment....

its ashame..only know him less than one and half years. if only i can be like you, knowing him longer time..you guys share so many happy moment....

NanC said...

It was a shocked for me too.. He was my 2yr senior in School.. and he was the my head-prefect back then, my partner in Kelas Kebudayaan and who's kind & good heart..Im sure everyone will missed him! 'May his soul rest in Peace'

Lindut a.k.a Carmel said...

may his soul rest in peace..

Tennis Quote From My Favourite Player

" I think about that sometimes - learning to play in a parking lot, stringing nets between cars. I learned to play by hitting against a brick wall, not a ball machine or other players. And my Father was my coach - teaching me from a twenty year-old book. When I hear people say that you can't make it in tennis if you don't have a lot of money, I know they're wrong. We didn't have much money. But I loved the sport and that was enough." - Monica Seles -

In Bed With Rex

In Bed With Rex
Hmm..daddys bed is so much better than mine..!

Hey Rex

Hey Rex
Aww..he was 3 months then..

Rex & Bobbi

Rex & Bobbi
Playtime..I like this caviar taste tennis ball..yumm.. Not. Goku stop scratching Rex's butt!

My Idols

My Idols
Whitney, Luther, Kylie & Monica

Just junior

Just junior
Me, Myself & I

The Doggies

The Doggies
Rex, Bobbi & Sisqo